March was a great month for Embrace the Word! We took our spiritual vitamins in March! Several people of faith suggest that reading Proverbs is like taking daily vitamins. You consume the 31 chapters, one each day, and as you ingest the wisdom of Proverbs, your spiritual health will blossom. God’s wisdom is good for the whole body, so we should engage our whole in the pursuit of wisdom.
Let’s recall ways to engage our whole bodies:
- The Ears “Incline your ear to my sayings” (4:20b)
Inclining the ear implies leaning in, positioning the ear to hear better. This, however, is not a physical posture. It is listening closely and intently to the Word with the heart.
- Your Eyes “Do not let them depart from your eyes” (4:21a)
Keep the Word before your eyes. Engage with the Word of God often. Read it every day.
- Your Heart “Keep your heart with all diligence” (4:23)
Guard your heart. The condition of our hearts affects the way we live our lives.
- Your Mouth “Put away from you a deceitful mouth, and put perverse lips far from you” (v. 24)
This is more than just outright lies. It includes all forms of verbal deceptions spoken to deceive a person.
- Your Eyes, Again “Let your eyes look straight ahead, and your eyelids look right before you” (v. 25)
Avoid distractions by staying focused on what is before you. Keep your gaze straight ahead.
- Your Feet “Ponder the path of your feet, and let all your ways be established” (v. 26)
Consider what you do. Don’t live aimlessly; instead, intentionally examine your steps and choices.
- How can you engage your whole self in pursuing wisdom?
- What is distracting you and keeping you from walking in Godly wisdom?
- What areas of your life are you prone to stray and wander off the path of wisdom?
- What practical steps can you take to be firm and unswerving?
In a world full of distractions and all manner of evil, It is so easy to veer off the path of wisdom. In 2024, make it your expressed intention to be steadfast and unmovable and continue in the wisdom of God.