Ahhhh!!! NOVEMBER! SSM had its first THANKS and GIVING Challenge. I loved sharing this time with all of you. Just like everything we do, we started with the WORD of God. We reflected on the goodness of the Lord, then demonstrated our gratitude in several different ways.
I can think of so many things to reflect on from November, but this one thing sticks out as something to take into 2023.
Now godliness with contentment is great gain. 1 Timothy 6:6
Apostle Paul gave this encouragement to young Pastor Timothy. In a time when corruption from leaders was prevalent, Paul encouraged Timothy to avoid the temptation to focus on money, status, or prestige as the hallmarks of his ministry. But instead, seek contentment–the inner confidence one has based on the sufficiency of God. It is the sense that you have all that you need in Jesus! Serving God does make us very rich when we are thankful and satisfied with what we have.
Listen, it is the enemy’s job to make you feel like you don’t have enough and, worse, you are not enough. So we try to do more, to be more. Or at least try to appear that we are more. It is a mad cycle that leaves us dissatisfied, anxious, and even depressed.
Rather than focusing all our efforts on worldly gain, we should pursue godliness– personal integrity and holiness in conduct, attitude, and thought.
Let these reminders help you pursue godliness with contentment:
- You have everything you need to succeed in life at this moment. 2 Peter 1:3
- You are enough because you stand complete in Him Colossians. 2:9-10
- You have been given sufficient grace. 2 Corinthians 12:9-10
- You can steward this season of your life well because of Christ, who strengthens you. Philippians 4:12-13
- You can keep going and keep growing because God began a great work in you, and He is faithful to see it through. Philippians 1:6
In 2023, strive to be content in what God has done in your life, and look with expectation to what He will do. Pursue godliness with contentment and be thankful. If you are not where you want to be going into this new year, trust that God is working! He is not done with you yet!