Psalm 119 is the longest division found in Psalms; 176 verses! Almost every verse speaks about the Word of God. The Word of God is powerful, rich, and life giving. We can receive its maximum benefits if we engage with it. Not just passively engaging—toting it around in a cute little tote or opening it to follow along with the Sunday morning text.
We should be actively engaged in God’s Word. We should consume its contents daily so that we can reap its rich rewards. Meditate on the Word, declare it from your own mouth, and learn to love it. It’s a sword to be used to fight off the attacks of the enemy. It is a song of comfort in times of sorrow. It is a shout of praise to our Mighty God.
This is not an exhaustive list, but here are seven blessings that come from engaging in the Word of God.
- We are strengthened by the Word of God. The living Word of God can fortify us even in our weakest moments. The truths found there rush to aid us in times when we have grown weak from life’s trials and hardships. When we confess God’s truth, we will begin to feel His strength reaching to us.
My soul is weary with sorrow; strengthen me according to Your Word. Psalms 119:28
- We find comfort in the Word of God. In times of suffering and struggle, I can find solace in God’s Word. The Word is a source of comfort for the weary and discouraged. In difficult and distressing times, the Word refreshes and revives. It gives life in the midst of trouble.
This is my comfort in my affliction, for Your word has given me life. Psalm 119:50
- We receive direction when we trust God’s Word. Sometimes as we walk this path of life, we come to forks in the road. It is essential to seek God’s direction to know which way to go. Our steps are illuminated by the Word, and we receive continual guidance and direction if we stay firmly rooted in God’s truth.
Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path. Psalm 119:105
- We find revival and renewed life. So many feel as if their life is broken or completely worn down. The Word of God reminds us of the restoring power of God. The power to rebuild what has been broken and to revive what seems dead.
My soul clings to the dust; Revive me according to Your word. Psalm 119:25
- We find great treasure. The Word of God brings joy to our hearts, minds, and spirits. As we gain understanding and apply God’s Word, we discover the beautiful treasure found therein. God’s Word shares the reality of who we are in Christ, the truth of His presence with us in trials, and the fact that Christ has secured our eternal victory. We win!
I rejoice at Your word as one who finds great treasure. Psalm 119:162
- We find peace in God’s Word. The psalmist knows how to live a life of stability because his roots firmly rest in the Word. He can experience good times and praise God, but he can also experience tough times and stand knowing, believing, and confessing what God has said concerning him. We can too. Then we can experience not just peace, but GREAT peace.
Great peace have those who love your law, and nothing can make them stumble. Psalm 119:165
- We can walk in freedom when we trust the Word of God. Freedom is a beautiful promise from God. Through Jesus, every chain of bondage, sin, and death have been broken. And it is for freedom that Christ has set us free (Gal. 5:1)! But how do we walk in it? By walking according to the Word. Like the psalmist, seek out the truths that speak to your situation so you can stay free and not be ensnared again (Gal. 5:1).
I will walk about in freedom, for I have sought out your precepts. Psalm 119:45
The Word of God is a complete source of joy and peace. When you come to know it and love it, your life will never be the same.
What other blessings can you name? Let me know in the comments.
Your friend in the journey,
Remember, The Word W.O.R.K.S. Walking in Wholeness, Obedience, Righteousness, and Kingdom Success through the Word of God