Oh June! June is the Anniversary of Embrace the Word! This past June marked five years of pursuing WHOLENESS, OBEDIENCE, RIGHTEOUSNESS, and KINGDOM SUCCESS through the Word of God!
Each week in June, we focused on one of the words in our purpose statement. The second week was OBEDIENCE. We looked at the final statements Jesus made in His Sermon on the Mount:
“Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock. And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell, and great was the fall of it.” Matthew 7:24–27
Here are some points to remember:
- The wise man is like one who hears the Word AND obeys it. He obeys what he hears. He practically applies the teachings of Jesus in his life. Because of this, when the storms come, he can stand steady and sure.
- The foolish man is also like one who hears the Word but DOES NOT obey it. He continues to walk in disobedience, thinking his own way is best. When the storm comes, this man will endure a great fall because he has not made God’s truth his lifeline.
- Storms will come! The storm may affect you, alter you, or attempt to destroy your house.
- Obedience to the Word will help you withstand life’s storms. If you will withstand life’s storms, you must obey the Word of God. When your house is built on a rock (a life that is built on obedience to the Word of God), the storm may affect, alter, and attempt to destroy your house, but you WILL stand. Those same storm conditions can ruin the lives of those who do not obey God’s Word.
- God’s Word requires our radical obedience. It’s how we build lives that stand when the storms come.
- Nothing else can replace obedience. Your church attendance will not do it. Your faithful service will not do it. Your good works and benevolence will not get the job done.
In 2024, let’s walk in RADICAL OBEDIENCE! Obedience is the only way to build your house on The Rock! Hear God’s Word, and obey. Before you build, be certain that your foundation is Jesus, the Word of God. He is the only sure foundation (1 Corinthians 3:11). And, remember, obedience to the Word is how you build.
If you are interested in The Word W.O.R.K.S. ETW reading/writing Bible plan, click here!