A Year in Review: April 2022 – A Spiritual Checkpoint
In April, we also took time out for a spiritual checkpoint.
A spiritual checkpoint is a time of self-reflection. As with the runner in a race, a spiritual checkpoint is a time to check your pacing and make any necessary adjustments. Indeed, it is time for inspection. 2 Corinthians 13:5 tells us, “Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Do you not know yourselves that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you are disqualified.”
Eugene Peterson says it this way, “Test yourselves to make sure you are solid in the faith. Don’t drift along, taking everything for granted. Give yourselves regular checkups. You need first-hand evidence, not mere hearsay, that Jesus Christ is in you. Test it out. If you fail the test, do something about it. (2 Corinthians 13:5 MSG.)
As we come to the end of the year, it is time for us to reflect, regroup, refocus, and be refreshed.
Reflect on your journey. Have you progressed, have you remained stagnant, or worse, have you regressed? Be honest with yourself! Invite the Holy in on this and be honest before Him.
As you reflect, you may find areas that can be tightened up, tweaked, or even overhauled. This could mean recuperating after disappointment or failure, or regaining confidence when it’s fizzled out. Where do you need to reorganize or start over?
Refocus in prayer. Talk to God and ask Him to tell you the plan again. Oh, how reviving it is to hear the Lord speak to you again after you’ve gotten unfocused or even misstepped. Write down what you hear so that you can review it and run with it.
Yes, a spiritual checkpoint is also a time of refreshing. Ask the Lord for the clarity you need to move forward. Praise Him for another day and another chance. Wash your face, get up, and get moving.
Here are some questions to guide you at this spiritual checkpoint:
- Are you talking with God daily? 1 Thessalonians 5:16-17
- Are you engaging with His Word every day? Psalm 119:105, 2 Timothy 3:16-17, Matthew 4:4
- Have you set spiritual goals? Proverbs 19:21, Habakkuk 2:2-3, John 6:27
- What spiritual disciplines have you put into practice? Acts 2:42, Joshua 1:8, Hebrews 10:25
- Who is pouring into your life? Proverbs 1:5, Ephesians 4:11-16
- Who are you pouring into? Isaiah 58:10, Proverbs 11:25, Isaiah 1:17, 1 Thessalonians 5:11
- Are you walking in obedience to the Word of God? James 1:22–25